Monday, November 26, 2012

#26

Books and the fabulous skill of reading make today's gratitude topper! 
Cannon is learning to read and as part of his homework he is required to read 10minutes a day.  It probably doesn't seem like a long time, but for a 5 year old, and his parents I might add, 10 minutes can be a really, really long time.  I have however, come to appreciate this time.  It is amazing to see the progress Cannon is making and when we hit a row of words that he knows it is incredible to hear him rattle them off.  I think that reading is something that is taken for granted by most.  Most people learn how to read in elementary school and that carries them through life.  There are millions of people who can't read, who were never afforded the chance to learn how to read.  There a millions of people who didn't have books, or a library or a ten minute homework reading requirement with help from parents.  We are a lucky bunch us readers! Someday Cannon will thank us for making him take a monthly trip to the library and dragging him to the couch each night to bust out a book...some day! 
I remember learning how to read with my parents, "Newman Ned" was the first book that I completed from front to back.  In the beginning I hated that book, I'm sure my parents did too, but by the end I LOVED it because I had accomplished something awesome!  I had learned how to read and for that I am so very thankful!!!!

0 comments: