Thursday, December 3, 2009

Today!

Today Cannon woke up at 6 am and never went back to sleep!

Today we watched Happy Feet 3 times!

Today Cannon peed all over his sheets!

Today I found shredded cheese all over my kitchen floor!

Today Cannon would not take a nap!

Today my Christmas Tree is mostly barren thanks to Cannon!

Today EVERY ONE of Cannons diapers has had a pleasant little surprise!

Today I finally felt food enough to go to do something!
So I braved the cold, my 2 year old and COSTCO! I have a love hate relationship with COSTCO because it has tons of good deals but no matter when you go it is PACKED! Today it was 12:30 and I couldn't even find a parking spot, I almost turned around and went home. If we didn't need diapers (again, any tricks on potty training a stubborn boy?) I wouldn't have gone in. But I did and I am glad I did because TODAY someone needed a friend.

After Cannon and I had finished our adventure in the warehouse we headed for the promised pizza and a soda. As usual there was NOWHERE to sit, especially with a cart and a toddler in tow! But I noticed an older gentleman sitting at table all alone eating his DELICIOUS COSTCO hot dog and enjoying his icy cold beverage. I kindly asked him if he would mind if we shared his table because trying to feed Cannon pizza in the car would have been an absolute nightmare! He replied, "no, not at all please take a seat. " We began talking a bit and he was playing with Cannon. He told me he had 25 grandchildren! Can you imagine?! Then he told me he had 9 kids! I commended him on what an accomplishment that was, because I am questioning my ability to have 2! He reassured me that 2 is sometimes easier than 1. He was such a nice gentleman, but he seemed a little down to me. Which, rightfully he was. He began to tell me about his wife who is currently at The Huntsman Cancer Center undergoing her FOURTH round of Chemotherapy and who has lost her hair FOUR times! She has Leukemia. He sounded optimistic about her prognosis but said it had been a battle of a year. He had not been to see her today and had just spoken to her on the phone where she said she had a "good night" and actually got some sleep. We visited a while longer and as we were getting up to leave, he kindly said to me, "Thank you for the visit I really enjoyed it and needed a chat." Right then I thought to myself, Today was not so bad!

Today I have a capable and able body!

Today I have a warm home & a fridge full of food (that can be found on the kitchen floor)!

Today I have a warm bed to sleep in!

Today I have an abundance of luxuries (like Happy Feet)!

Today I have a beautiful Christmas Tree that I can enjoy in my own home everyday!

Today I have a sweet little baby, who give me sweet little surprises everyday!

And TODAY I was able to be a friend to someone that was in need, when really he made me realize that TODAY was not so bad!

12 comments:

The Hulls said...

That post made me all teary eyed! Thanks for sharing! Hope you guys are doing well!

Dr. Lordeslupe said...

AAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

The Lind's said...

Post hormones or not...that made me cry! I love old people! And what a great feeling I am sure you had after making your new friend. What a way to remember your blessing! Thanks for sharing! Hope tomorrow is a good day too!

Christiansen's said...

What a cute post, I always enjoy reading your posts, you are always so clever when you do them. I had a fun time chatting with you guys tonight :)

Michelle and James said...

Talk about making me sappy. I loved this post Rachel. That is a really sweet story. I bet you did a world of good for him. It's amazing the stories, people and experiences that can change your prospective. Good luck to another great day.

Kristy Cefalo said...

Super Sweet. Thank You :)

Clements Family said...

What a great story...it totally made me cry. Sometimes you never know who needs to talk or what their life story is...it is so important to always be a friend...and to look on the bright side of things, because there is always someone worse off then you think you are!

Mich and Nate said...

Wow, I am sitting at my computer crying. Thanks so much for sharing that!

Stephanie said...

Awe Rach I am totally crying right now!! What a great story. it really makes you like of all that we have! I know I need constant reminders!! thanks for the post! Can't wait for the Christmas party!

Heather said...

Thanks for pointing out the good in things. It's easy for me to forget. You are such a sweet person.

Britney said...

You made me all teary! What a beautiful thing!

The Memmotts said...

Wow Rachel - thanks for putting this on your blog. I haven't been on here in a while and was reading your posts and came across this - it made me cry! What a sweet man and what a wonderful message you told! I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and will have a fun New Years. Say hello to Brandon for me!