Monday, August 13, 2012

Girls Camp

A few months ago I was called to be in our wards Young Women's presidency.  What an incredible blessing and experience it has been for me. It is a much bigger time commitment than I had expected but it is worth every second and I wouldn't trade it! I have learned so much from these sweet girls and I am so thankful that Heavenly Father has entrusted me with these amazing spirits.  One of the most spiritual and incredible things I have experienced in this calling is Girls Camp.  Our stake was so fortunate to be able to go to the Heber Valley Girls Camp in Heber, UT.  If you ever have the chance to go there, GO! It was absolutely amazing!

He we are at the wee early hour of 6am waiting to board our bus!
Our amazing campers on the bus at last.
Our home sweet home for the next week, complete with electricity!

This year each ward was assigned a light source.  We were the fireflies.  It was such a fun light source with such a cool meaning.  It in Aztec firefly means, "a spark of knowledge in a world of ingnorance and darkness." We had so much fun with this.  We have had a giant firefly (made out of a 2ilter bottle) mascott, GLOWIA.  She was super cute and I can't believe I forgot to take a picture.  Each night we would teach the girls some basic principles and as we taught them we would add light to Glowia's bottom so that by the end of the week she was bright and glowious.  It was pretty amazing. 

Heber Valley has this awesome lake that you get to spend part of a day canoing on.  The ship you out onto the lake have all the girls sing "I Feel My Saviors Love" then have 2minutes of silence.  It was quite an experience.  

Our AMAZING camp director Amnada, me and PJR (President Jamie Rothe) our AMAZING YW Preseident getting ready to hit the lake.
Kicking on the paddle boat with the incredible Theresa Obrey. Leaders had paddle boats not canoes.

The lake was really neat.  One night our camp director, who is probably one of the most wonderful people in the world, made all girls these darling fireflies out of water bottles.  Inside were letters from their parents, and ofcourse the Miss Amazing herself had all of the leaders husbands write a note too.  She then stuck a glow stick in each bottle and placed them around the beach.  We walked the girls down one night to see an incredible sight of glowing water bottle fireflies. Each girl grabbed her firefly and we had quite the night reading our sweet love notes from home.  It was awesome and probably one of my favorite parts! 

Our Stake leaders put together some wonderful classes that taught the girls some much needed spiritual info. There is something about nature that brings you closer to the Spirit and allows you to be taught in ways that you otherwise miss.  This camp was espcially open to that Spirit.  We had lots of fun on the ropes course complete with a zip line.  Had an opportunity to help out the couple missionaires with a service project.  Prepared a meal for 300+ people in comercial like kitchen and most of all feel the incredible love of our Father in Heaven.

We had the best shirts at camp, complete with our nick names.  They even had flashing fireflies on the front...again, another lost photo op.  
All of the fabulous ladies I get to work with. This was our last night there and we are looking the part. 
Our last group shot before we headed home.
Camp was incredible and I am so thankful I had the chance to spend 5days with the Young Women.  It was an experience I will never forget. Thanks to my wonderful girls and fabulous ladies for making that week amazing!

0 comments: