Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Now you know...

Voyd Reed Stewart
1937-2011

My sweet grandpa Stewart passed away on March 26, 2011. He suffered from Alzheimer's, a CRUEL, HEARTLESS disease. It was somewhat unexpected but in the end an enormous blessing and an answer to so many prayers. His mind had left us a long time ago, his poor body was just hanging on to this mortal existence. I was lucky enough to see him in the hospital before he passed away and found it very comforting to have that closure. Even more comforting is knowing the sacrifice our Savior made to make eternal lives and eternal families possible. I will forever miss the man I knew growing up, but I take great comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering.

My grandpa served in the Army and had full military honors. It was really amazing to see the many things that our country does for it's soldiers. The picture above is one my favorites. It says so much without saying anything at all. I couldn't hold the tears back when I saw that.

It is amazing to me that these fine, retired service men would take the time on a cold, blustery, Idahoan spring day to stand at attention and file their rifles in honor of one of their fallen soldiers.


This picture may seem terrible, but it I feel that it depicts the true love of a family as the pallbearers pay their final respects. When you see the coffin roll out of the car only to be surrounded by people who loved and respected this man, it was as if they were saying "it's ok grandpa, we are here and we love you and we will see you through to the end."

My grandpa had 8 grandsons and they were all there! Everyone of them taking him to his final resting place.

If you have never been to the service of a United States service man, it is quite overwhelming. The Spirit is so strong! I don't know if it is the love of country that is bursting or the testament that America is a chosen land and that the founding fathers and Jesus Christ were at one point on the same page. Either way, it is incredible! I love the flag adorning the coffin and these young service people did a fantastic job. This was truly incredible!

The military salute. Kind of an earth shattering feeling to hear the rifles fire.


My uncle Karl is in the Army, has made it his life's work. He was able to present the flag to my grandma which was so much more meaningful and harder than I expected it to be. I will be forever grateful to him for his service and the opportunity he had to be a part of that.

Yes, this was a tear jerker. I can only imagine how my grandma felt as she took the flag.


These are my adorable cousins. My grandma asked us to write and read the life sketch at the funeral. We learned some interesting things about my grandpa. I will always be thankful I had that opportunity. You can read it here Life Sketch.

The final respects. We will miss you grandpa! We will miss your silliness, your singing, your craziness, your handshakes, hand squeezes and most of all your sweet smile. We are so happy that NOW YOU KNOW just who , what and where you are. Love you forever!

6 comments:

Ransom Family said...

Thank you Rachel for the amazing pictures. You have such a talent for writing. You did a wonderful job with the life sketch! What a special time to have spent with everyone in the family. Love ya!

Chalen said...

Feeling for you. Nathan's grandfather passed away the begining of March, and i know it has been rough for him. He served in what would become the air force and also had military honors. It was very moving.

Janice said...

Thank you Rachel. I loved reading this!

Michelle and James said...

Rachel, This was so awesome to read I have been trying to decide to post or not but you have given me the inspiration to do so. Thanks again for everything and doing the life sketch with you and Kim was awesome, thanks for your support. Love ya.

robin said...

Rachel,
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa!! I'm so sorry he had to suffer the way he did. I agree it is an awful awful disease! Thinking of you!!!

Mike and Jill said...

Rache-Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I actually lost my Grandma a few weeks before your Grandpa passed. It is super hard! We know it is better for them but so hard for us! Love you!